Well I had run across a couple of other programs over the weekend and intended to post about those this morning! Great minds think alike and I guess it doesn't hurt that we both have military connections in our family.
One awesome effort is the Soldiers' Angels program. From the Adopt a Soldier program to Operation Birthday Cake, Soldiers' Angels is a collection of over 20 different teams and programs supporting all branches of the U.S. Armed Forces, so you are bound to find one or more things there that speaks to your heart. Please check it out!
Also, the American Red Cross is behind an effort called Holiday Mail for Heroes to send one million Christmas cards to our troops this holiday season. So while you are addressing your Christmas cards this season, please address one (or more) for our troops too. You can find more info here but hurry! The cards must be postmarked no later than Wednesday, December 10, 2008, so the deadline is coming up quick.
Here are the guidelines:
- All cards must be postmarked no later than Wednesday, December 10, 2008. Cards sent after this date will be returned to sender.
- If sending more than one card, please mail all cards together in one large shipping envelope. Cards sent in this manner do not need individual envelopes or postage.
- Please ensure that all cards are signed.
- Please use generic salutations such as “Dear Service Member.”
- Please do not include personal information, like email or home addresses.
- Please do not send letters.
- Please do not include inserts of any kind, including photos, glitter, confetti, gift cards or calling cards. Any items inserted into cards will be removed during the reviewing process.
- All cards received may be used in program publicity efforts, including appearing in broadcast, print or online mediums.
Here is the address:
Holiday Mail for Heroes
PO Box 5456
Capitol Heights, MD 20791-5456
One simple effort on your part can make such a big difference in the life of our men and women in the military. Won't you stop and take a minute right now to bring a smile to one of them?